In mature producing basins new plays can be developed, usually – but not necessarily – within deeper stratigraphic objectives than those producing to date. Beyond the initial conceptual stage the development of new exploration play concepts is typically underpinned by the interpretation of regional seismic surveys and basin modelling. This is then followed by more detailed studies usually including 3D seismic interpretation to support licence applications. Smaller scale exploration studies address near field exploration potential and in that sense have similarities with appraisal studies.
Exploration studies cater for clients wishing to undertake a new country and/or basin entry or clients involved in farm-in opportunities for which a valuation of the exploration assets for sale is required.
Clastic and carbonate reservoirs, post and pre-salt settings, shallow marine deltaics and deepwater turbidites, and many other play varieties are part and parcel of our knowledge base.
All of our studies are subject to a rigorous QA/QC procedure and are carried out according to industry best practices. This includes applying novel techniques and procedures to further improve the validity of our deliverables.
- Play fairway analysis and determination of green field potential
- New country and basin entries
- Portfolio diversification
- Acquisitions and divestments
- Sales brochures for licence rounds
- Valuations for investments
- Reduced exploration costs through development of fit for purpose, state of the art models
- Cross disciplinary expertise – e.g. seismic interpretation, basin modelling, source rock and maturity mapping, sedimentological/provenance studies
- Consistent approach from conceptual play definition to prospect evaluation
- Thorough and consistent prospect risking and portfolio analysis